- Popularization of science
- Scholarships, distinctions
- Membership of scientific organisations
- Useful links
Researcher of the Institute of Mediterranean and Oriental Cultures PAS since 2012
Working hours: Tuesday, Friday at 9.00 a.m. - 3.00 p.m.
Tel. (22) 657 27 34
Specialization and research interests:
Korean Peninsula, relations between Confucianism and the Korean civilization, Korean Culture, Leadership in North Korea, Koreans in Poland, Poles on the Korean Peninsula.
Consultant on North Korean Issues (Projects realized for international organizations, papers for think-tanks, active participation to the yearly consultation of the Neutral Nations Supervisory Commission, invited as a guest to seminars organized by the EU, etc.).
Lectures and seminars on South and North Korea at several universities. Lecturer at the Vistula University (Warsaw, Poland). Supervisor of MA and BA student's thesis. Assistant Supervisor of PhD. Thesis. Moderator during events. Author of seven books dedicated to the Korea Peninsula. Editor-In-Chief of the Research Journal "Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia". Organization of events.
Inventory of Religious and Philosophical Heritage (2333 BC - 1910) in the geographic area of North Korea.
The spread of the Confucianism on the Korean Peninsula
The relation between Confucianism and political systems on the Korean Peninsula
North Korean political elites
Relations between Poland and North Korea
Written and published monographs and books:
• A statistical analysis of the North Korean overseas laborers in Poland during the period 2000-2017: Current Status and Prospects, Asian Century, Warszawa 2018. 64 pages.
• Nic nie wiem o Korei Północnej [I know nothing about North Korea], Asian Century, Warszawa 2018. 380 pages.
• Korea Północna. Zarys ewolucji systemu politycznego [North Korea. An outline of the evolution of the political system], Instytut Kultur Śródziemnomorskich i Orientalnych Polskiej Akademii Nauk. Warszawa 2016. 130 pages.
• Kim jest Kim Dzong-un? [Who is Kim Jong Un], Kwiaty Orientu, 2015. 220 pages.
• Kto rządzi w Korei Północnej? [Who rules over North Korea], Dialog, Warszawa 2014. 224 pages.
• System Polityczny Korei Północnej: aspekty kulturalne [The Political System of North Korea: cultural aspects], Askon, Warszawa 2013. 104 pages.
• Korea Północna – poszukując prawdy [North Korea - in search of the truth], (ed.) Kwiaty Orientu, Warszawa 2012. 216 pages.
Selected scientific articles and chapters in peer-reviewed monographs:
Culture of Korea and Asian countries
• North Korean Intellectuals and Artists: from Antagonism to Forced Cooperation with the Workers’ Party of Korea, Hemispheres, Studies on Cultures and Societies, vol. 31, 2016, no 3, pp. 48-57.
• Aspects choisis de la présence du Confucianisme dans la société contemporaine coréenne, Almanach Historyczny 2016, no 18, pp. 217-227.
• Correlations Between the Contemporary Ideology of the North Korean and Chosen Confucianism Values, Krakowskie Studia Międzynarodowe, no 12, 2015, pp. 119-131.
• La minorité chinoise de Paris, Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia, nr 28, 2015, pp. 69-79.
• Konfucjanizm na Półwyspie Koreańskim – wybrane aspekty, [in:] „Konfucjanizm i jego współczesne oblicze”, Roman Sławiński (ed.), Warszawa, Askon, 2013, pp. 56-63.
• Confucianism in South Korea and Japan: Similarities and Differences, Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia, no 26, 2013, pp. 185-195.
Elites of North Korea:
• La théorie de la reproduction des élites de Pierre Bourdieu et le cas des élites nord-coréennes, Politeja, no 39, 2015, pp. 141-157.
• Kim Jong Il: a film director who ran a country, Journal of Modern Science, vol. 4, no 29, 2015, pp. 155-166.
• Purges et remaniements sous Kim Jong-eun, Korea Analysis, no 4, 2014, pp. 35-40.
• Les élites nord-coréennes, Monde Chinois, no 34, 2013, pp. 95-106.
• The North Korean Leadership and the Future of North Korea, Papers of the British Association for Korean Studies, vol. 13, no 3, 2011, pp. 123-137.
• A Biography of Kim Pyong Il: A Second Dauphin? Parallax, vol. 7, no 1, 2010, pp. 33-49.
The Political System of North Korea:
• A historical approach to the leadership of the Organisation and Guidance Department of the Workers’ Party of Korea, Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia, no 32, 2019, pp. 99-117.
• Terrorism scheme and North Korea: a focus on North Korean cyber-attacks, [in:] ”East Asian Intelligence and Organised Crime”, Stephan Blancke (ed.), Verlag Dr. Koster, Berlin 2015, pp. 279-291.
• Scenarios regarding the future of North Korea, [in:] “Asia in the 21st century: conflicts and disputes”, Adam Marszałek, Toruń 2014, pp. 119-127.
• Insanity or Part of a Plan? Prospects for Changes to North Korean Domestic and Foreign Policy, Policy Paper no. 1 (84), 2014, Polish Institute of International Affairs, pp. 1-5
Defectors of North Korea:
• The community of North Koreans elites and defectors in Eastern European Countries, Gdańskie Studia Azji Wschodniej, 2017, vol. 11, pp. 152-164.
• Adaptation in South Korean Society of North Korean Elite Defectors, Studia Humana, vol 6, no 4, 2017, pp. 62-73.
Other Research Papers:
• Gloires et déboires de l’économie nord-coréenne, Pouvoirs, revue française d’études constitutionnelles et politiques, no 167, 2018, pp. 67-79.
• Historical Relations between Poland and North Korea from 1948 to 1980, International Journal of Korean Unification Studies, vol. 27 no 1, 2017, pp. 29-70.
• Internal Security: the case of North Korea, [in:] „National security – definition, character and determinants. Studies on the quality of security”, WSGE, Jozefów 2013, pp. 287-301.
• Zarys Stosunków między Polską Republiką Ludową a Koreańską Republiką Ludowo-Demokratyczną, [in:] Świat i Polska wobec globalnych wyzwań, Ryszard Żelichowski (ed.), Instytut Studiów Politycznych PAN – Collegium Civitas, Warszawa 2009, pp. 345-360.
• Ra Jong-yil. Inside North Korea's Theocracy: The Rise and Sudden Fall of JANG SONG-THAEK, [Suny Press, New York 2019], Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia, no 32, 2019, pp. 143-117.
• Dormels Rainer. North Korea's Cities [Jimoondang Publishing Company, Seoul, 2014], North Korean Review, vol. 14, no. 2, fall 2018, pp. 117-119.
• Kim Myung-ja. The Korean Diaspora in Postwar Japan - Geopolitics, Identity and Nation-Building, [London: I.B Tauris, 2017], Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia, vol. 31, 2018, pp. 164-166.
• Kim Byung-Yeon. Unveiling the North Korean economy, [Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2017], Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia, vol. 31, 2018, pp. 167-169.
• Kim Yong, Long Road Home: Testimony of a North Korean Camp Survivor, [Columbia University Press, New York City 2009], Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia, no. 30, 2017 pp. 177-179.
• Lee Ahlam, North Korean Defectors in a New and Competitive Society,[Rowman&Littlefield, London 2016], Acta Asiatica Varsoviensia, no. 30, 2017 pp. 174-176.
• Ulrich van der Heyden, GDR International Development Policy Involvement. Doctrine and Strategies between Illusions and Reality 1960–1990: The Example (South) Africa, [Lit Verlag, Berlin 2013], Krakowskie Studia Międzynarodowe, no. 11, 2014, pp. 189-193.
• Myungkyu Park, Bernhard Seliger, Sung-Jo Park (eds.), Europe. North Korea. Between Humanitarism and Business? [Lit Verlag, Berlin 2010], Hemispheres, no 28, 2013, pp. 157-160.
Invited key-speaker for international and national scientific events
• South Korea, Busan University, 20-24 November 2019.
• South Korea, South Korea, Korean Institute for National Unification, invited scientist, Seoul, 23-27 May 2019.
• Germany, University of Tübingen, invited lecturer (A Typology of the North Korean Leadership under the Era of Kim Jong-un - Elements of Comparison with Kim Il Sung & Kim Jong-il's Periods of Power), Tübingen, 20 December 2017.
• South Korea, Korean Institute for National Unification, invited scientist, Seoul, 01-15 July 2015,
• United Kingdom, School of Oriental and African Studies, invited lecturer (The Current role of the North Korean army in the Economy of North Korea), London, November 15, 2013.
Speeches at international and national scientific conferences, seminars
Korean and Asian culture:
• The Chinese Minority in North Korea, IMOC Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 28 January 2020.
• The fate of North Korean orphans after their return to their homeland in 1959, IMOC Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 19 December 2019.
• Tangible and intangible heritage of seventy years of Polish-North Korean relations, IMOC Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 26 February 2019.
• Theory of Social Hierarchy and Oppression: The case of North Korea IMOC Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 30 January 2018.
• La minorité chinoise de Paris, "Taihu Forum", Guimet Museum, Paris, April 1, 2014.
• Korean and Japanese Confucianism, "Research in Japanese Studies in Human Sciences", Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 24 April 2013.
• Korean minority in China, IMOC Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 5 March 2013.
• Evaluation and prospects concerning Relations between Poland and North Korea, "9th Korean Studies Graduate Students Convention", Warsaw, September 17-20, 2012.
• Can North Korean defectors settle and live in Central Europe?, "Whiter the two Koreas? Continuity and Change in the North Korean Peninsula ”, Budapest (Hungary), Central Europe University, 6-8 September 2012.
• The importance of the Confucian values during the Kim Jong Il’s system: A comparison with the Kim Il Sung’s system, "Eight Worldwide Consortium of Korean Studies Centers Worshop", Seoul (South Korea), 4-6 July 2012
• The Future of Relations between China and North Korea, "East-Central Europe and Asia - challenges of the 21st century" - University of Euroregional Economy Alcide De Gasperi in Józefów (Poland), June 18, 2012.
• A comparison between North Korea and Eastern European Countries, "The Rise of Asia - A Perspective from Eastern Europe", The European Institute for Asian Studies, Brussels (Belgium), December 7, 2011.
North Korean Society:
• North Korean workers abroad - The case of North Korean women who worked in Poland between 2000 and 2018: an empirical study [in:] 6th Trans-Pacific International Conference (TPIC), Pukyong University (Busan, South Korea).November 7, 2019.
• Consequences of the Balcerowicz Plan on the Polish economy [in:] "Analyzing the Possibility of Reform and its Impact on Human Rights in North Korea", Yonseil University (Seoul, South Korea), May 24, 2019.
• History of North Korean studies in Poland, International Workshop on the Landscape of Taiwan Studies and Korean Studies, University of Central Lancarshire, June 25, 2018.
• How to negotiate with Koreans, [century] "Europe and Asia challenges of the 21st century - Socio-economic relations" - University of Euroregional Economy, October 28, 2014.
• A case study of the control of information in North Korea, [century] "Print Culture and Record-Keeping in East Asia: Knowledge Formation and Dissemination" - 7th Kyujanggak International Symposium on Korean Studies, 22 August 2014.
• Kim Jong Il: a film director who ran a country [v.] "Years of Radical Change: Korean Screen Culture", School of African and Oriental Studies, London, June 4, 2013.
• The Education of North Koreans: the example of Choson Exchange [v.] "Korean Association of Multicultural Exchange -meeting", Hanyang University, Seoul, May 10, 2013.
• The succession of Kim Jong Il and the Role of North Korean Elites [v.] "Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Korean Studies - Proceedings of the 7th Korean Studies Graduate Students Convention in Europe", Cluj Napoca (Romania), 4-7 July 2010.
Reviewer of international and national scientific journals:
• Asian Women (Sookmyung Women's University, South Korea)
• British Educational Research Journal (United Kingdom)
• Gdańskie Studia Azji Wschodniej (Gdansk University, Poland)
• North Korean Review (Institute for North Korean Studies, University of Detroit Mercy, USA)
• Poliarchia (Jagiellonian University, Poland)
• Progress: Journal of young researchers (Poland)
• Romanian Journal of Sociology (Romanian Academy of Sciences, Romania)
• Sustainability (China)
Co-organizing popular science activities:
Co-organizing popularization activities of the IMOC as part of the Science Picnic of Polish Radio and the Copernicus Science Center (June 2016, June 2017, June 2018, June 2019).
Popular science publications:
Since 2012, lectures given during conferences, for research clubs, for open audiences at the University of Warsaw, at the Jagiellonian University (Krakow), at the Asia and Pacific Museum (Warsaw), at the Warsaw School of Economics (Warsaw), at the University of Social Sciences and Humanities (Warsaw), at Warsaw University of Technology, etc. Conduction of meeting on Korea in Warsaw (promotional meeting, debates, lectures at the University of the Third Age, etc.), Culture Festivals (Animatsuri, Science Festival, IPN, etc.).
Content editor of the book by Kim Hyon-hui entitled The Tears of My Soul, ed. Veni, Vidi, Vici, Krakow 2014.
Own Research Project related to North Korea: nkreports.com
Analyzes and consultations:
Author of analyzes on the Korean Peninsula for governmental organizations, incl. for the Korean Institute for International Economic Policy. Analyst for Korea for the Foundation Institute of Asian and Global Studies Michał Boym. Worked as a consultant for Polish (Agora Group, Polskie Radio, Polsat, Superstacja, TVN, TVP, etc.) internationa Media (Le Figaro, Liberation, SinoNK.com) and Asian media (DailyNK.com, Radio Free Asia, etc.).
PhD. Thesis Support:
Supervisor of bachelor's and master's theses; Auxiliary supervisor of the doctoral dissertation, Dr. Kamil Weber, (Institute of Political Science, University of Opole, defended on September 28, 2019)
2020: Emerging Leaders Fellowship (South Korea)
2014: Korean Unification for Junior International Experts (South Korea)